Being the gadget freak that I am, I had to take advantage of Amazon’s offer to be first in line to try out the new Amazon Kindle (K2). It arrived on Tuesday, and I immediately recorded my Kindle unboxing (sorry for the crap quality). I also opened up my newest geek t-shirt that I got from Woot.
A few quick thoughts on the K2:
- The user experience compared to the first Kindle is quite different. Reading on the K2 just feels like a new experience. I am not sure yet what the good and bad parts of the experience are, just different.
- Many of the actual UI changes are quite nice. I especially like the progress meter and the top information bar.
- I am missing the ability to lock the device using the keyboard. It is not as convenient to reach to the top and flip the switch.
- Basic navigation was much faster with the K1’s scroll wheel. However, the stick in the K2 makes highlighting and annotating much easier.
- Automatic dictionary look ups are an amazingly cool feature…maybe the best new thing.
- The default (read cheap) leather case that you can order a) holds the Kindle very securely and b) is not as nice to use when reading. I miss the elastic to keep the cover closed. It was much easier to attach the light for night reading on the K1.
I plan to record another video soon to discuss what I like and don’t like about the K2 compared to the K1.