I got my hands on a Blackberry Storm yesterday at work. I have been using it for a little more than 24 hours now, and I have a few observations.
- It does not have a keyboard, and that is not a bad thing. I agree that it is easier to type on a Blackberry that has a keyboard, but using the keyboard on the Storm (the QWERTY in particular) is quite nice. I have only used an iPhone for a short period of time, but this was much easier to pick up and use. I think maybe I am 25% slower using the Storm qwerty keyboard. I still have to get used to the Suretype when portrait, but I think I will like it as well. The only issue I have thus far is the auto correct. I want to type Pearland not Pear land. :)
- The screen is very nice to look at. The audio even through the speaker is also very nice. I have not made too many calls on it yet, but it seems to work fine. The buttons make accessing menu’s very nice. Over all I think they did a nice job on the hardware side of things. The flash/light for the camera is really bright.
- In my opinion the biggest problem with the Storm is that it is incredibly slow. Slow to rotate the screen, slow to switch applications, slow to login (I use a login password due to a BES policy). Even with the new firmware the device is slow, slow, slow. I often see the little timer spinning around. I wonder if it is going to sleep to fast, and needing to much time to wake up before it can be used? Regardless, the device can basically become unusable due to the slowness.
- Slowness aside, I have yet to see the device lockup or crash (I know it has only been a day), but I think it is good that even though things get backed up it does not cause a lockup.
- I have been using the web browser as much as possible as that is one of the main things I want to use the Storm for. Once you get used to selecting links the browser is really nice to use. My one issue with the browser is that there is not a visual cue when you want to select a form button. It can be very hard to get it clicked. Other than that I have not had any issues.
- Battery life seems to be about one day of good use. I think that is fine. The battery does seem to charge fairly quickly which is good.
Just a few quick thoughts after a day of usage. I am planning to keep this loaner device through the weekend. If I like it I am going to buy one of my own. At this point I think it is a fairly safe bet that I will get one of my own.